The most dangerous city in Mexico State, with the highest crime rate, is Ecatepec de Morelos.
According to the 2022 Citizen Security Survey, Ecatepec has the highest homicide rate in Mexico State, with 109.38 homicides per 100,000 inhabitants. The city also has high rates of other crimes, including robbery, assault, and theft.
Ecatepec is located in the northeastern part of Mexico State, and is part of the Greater Mexico City metropolitan area. The city is home to over 1.6 million people, and is one of the most densely populated areas in Mexico.
There are a number of factors that contribute to the high crime rate in Ecatepec. The city is located in a region that is known for drug trafficking and organized crime. Ecatepec is also home to a large number of poor and marginalized people, who are more vulnerable to crime.
The Mexican government has taken some steps to address the crime problem in Ecatepec, including increasing the number of police officers in the city and investing in social programs. However, the crime rate remains high, and Ecatepec continues to be one of the most dangerous cities in Mexico.
Several factors contribute to the high crime rate in Ecatepec de Morelos. The city’s location in a region known for drug trafficking and organized crime plays a pivotal role. Criminal organizations often find refuge in densely populated areas like Ecatepec, taking advantage of the city’s vulnerabilities. Moreover, the city is home to a significant number of impoverished and marginalized residents, who are particularly susceptible to becoming victims or participants in criminal activities.
Government Measures and Ongoing Challenges
The Mexican government has taken steps to address the crime problem in Ecatepec. Efforts include increasing the number of police officers in the city and investing in social programs aimed at improving the living conditions and opportunities for its residents. However, despite these measures, the crime rate remains stubbornly high, and Ecatepec continues to be one of the most dangerous cities in Mexico State.
Other High-Crime Cities in Mexico State
Ecatepec is not alone in facing crime-related challenges. Several other cities in Mexico State have also experienced high crime rates, such as:
- Ciudad Nezahualcóyotl: Located in the northeastern part of Mexico State, this city struggles with high crime rates in areas like robbery, assault, and drug trafficking.
- Toluca de Lerdo: As the capital of Mexico State, Toluca faces significant crime issues, particularly in the form of robbery, assault, and extortion.
- Tultitlán: This city in the northwestern part of Mexico State deals with high rates of robbery, assault, and drug trafficking.
- Naucalpan de Juárez: Situated in the western part of the state, Naucalpan has elevated crime rates in areas like robbery, assault, and kidnapping.
- Ixtapaluca: Located in the southeastern part of Mexico State, Ixtapaluca wrestles with high crime rates in robbery, assault, and carjacking.
Staying Safe in Mexico State
While these statistics may raise concerns, it’s important to remember that crime rates can vary significantly from neighborhood to neighborhood within a city. Here are some essential tips for staying safe in Mexico State:
- Be aware of your surroundings and avoid walking alone at night.
- Exercise caution when using public transportation, as pickpocketing and theft are common on buses and trains.
- Avoid carrying large amounts of cash or valuables, which can make you a target for theft.
- Be especially vigilant when traveling in areas known for crime, and consider researching the specific neighborhoods you plan to visit.
- If you are a victim of a crime, report it to the local police immediately. Cooperation with authorities is crucial in tackling crime.
Ecatepec de Morelos is undeniably the most dangerous city in Mexico State, with the highest crime rate, primarily characterized by a disturbingly high homicide rate. However, it is not alone in its struggles, as several other cities in Mexico State also grapple with elevated crime rates. While authorities are working to address these issues, travelers and residents alike must remain vigilant, taking necessary precautions to ensure their safety in this complex and challenging environment.